We know that in your heart of hearts, there will never be another wizarding series like Harry Potter and there is a whole generation of people that are absolutely downtrodden by the fact that they never did get their letter to Hogwarts (count us among them!) but that doesn’t mean we can’t welcome other heroes into our hearts. Now with the the Harry Potter movies over and the cast moving on the other projects, it may be time to give Percy Jackson a chance at winning our hearts and here are 8 reasons why:
1. In a sea of heroines in the young adult novels, we finally have a leading man. While we love strong female characters, the guys should have their chance at the spotlight too.
2. Logan Lerman plays the title character. This guy shows a lot of great potential and growth as an actor.
3. Greek Gods. Forget about wands and spells, this series has Greek Gods and all the drama that comes along with them, because at the end of the day, they’re just an extremely dysfunctional family. In the power department, we’re pretty sure gods pretty much are at the top.
4. The Greek God in our time. This isn’t some story set back in the olden times, but in modern times. We get to see more of them in the second movie and in our opinion Nathan Fillion as Hermes and Stanley Tucci as Mr. D were the perfect casting because, let’s face it, these men can do no wrong. It makes so much sense that UPS is run by a Greek god. Suspicions confirmed!
5. The romance. Remember when you secretly hoped that Harry and Hermione to end up together? (Admit it, Ginny and Harry together was a little out of left field). We might actually have a chance of that in this series. We love it when the hero ends up with the smart girl. Since we didn’t get in Harry Potter, let’s keep our fingers crossed that it will happen in this series.
6. The movies are getting better. We know that the first wasn’t that great, but the second has done a lot better and they can only get better from here. It seems that a boost in their budget did the franchise some good and the time allowed the actors to mature.
7. The books are a really great read. The movies are based on the books written by Rick Riordan, so if you get impatient and just can’t wait to find out what happens, you can read the books.
8. The villain. Move over Voldemort, yes we will say his name, kind of seems like small stuff when you’re comparing him with a Titan. As crazy as Voldemort was, Kronos is worse.
A different kind of trilogy has been playing this summer. No special effects, with a small cast that we have come to know so intimately. In an ending to the Before trilogy, “Before Midnight” has created a precedent for how to make a sequel better than it’s preceding work.
Why does this trilogy work so well? It grows with its audience. At the beginning, Ethan Hawk and Julie Deply were fresh faced young actors playing characters who had were young, traveling in Europe who meet for the first time. Nine years later Jesse and Celine (Hawk and Deply) are now married and dealing with all that comes with that endeavor. When you probably first saw “Before Sunrise” and “Before Sunset” these movies were the sweet romance stories that people only dream of having, now the characters have grown up and they have to deal with that, like everyone else.
Should this be a new idea for trilogies and sequels? Instead of churning out stories year after year, should studios wait for the stories to be digested by the audience and missed before showing the continuing story? In this case, it makes sense why they waited, if you’re using the same actors, they have to age at least a little in order to show a lapse in time.
Why can’t Hollywood do this? Because they want to ride the wave of a good thing. At the end of the day, entertainment is a business and when they see a profitable thing, they want as much of it as possible. Take the “Twilight” series for example. They would keep filming after each movie was made, constantly churning out material for Twihearts to see. Part of it may be our fault. We have become people who don’t like to wait. We want results now. When we see something we like, we want more. If studios wait, they risk fans simply losing interest and moving on to something else.
Although few movies can do what the Before trilogy can, it’s nice to see that this kind of format is possible.
With the meteoric rise in popularity of Young Adult novels like Twilight, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and Divergent, teens everywhere may be feeling especially empowered in their general awesomeness. The question then becomes easy to ask: What would that look like in the real world?
1. Teenagers are the only ones that can save the world, because let’s face it, they are the only hope we have.
2. Parents/ Adults are either nonexistant/not really around/or more than likely: THE ENEMY. If you’ve read these books, you’ll probably notice that the adults in the novels are either completely clueless in what is going on; they may be conveniently away on some form of business and therefore can give our teen heroes some level of autonomy; They are also the enemy. Take the lovely Kate Winslet playing Jeanine Matthews, an overall baddie.
3. A side effect of number 2: the government is oppressive and trying to take away individuality and freedom. President Snow, Jeanine Matthews, Society in general, they’re up to no good!
4. “It’s Complicated” would be everyone’s relationship status. Let’s face it, sometimes a girl just can’t decide which cutie to love.
5. We are not alone people! There are werewolves, vampires, aliens, etc. among us just hiding in society as extremely good look people. Beware the pretty ones!
This is a warning to all the doggies out there, be careful what you do or you may end up on this website: http://www.dogshaming.com/ and like our friend Meg:
It seem owners are now banding together in a very mean practice known as pet shaming. So if you’re not careful, you may end up like
Even Thor is not safe!
Remember to be on your best behavior!
Are you a fan of the “Hunger Games”? Then you’ve probably starting noticing noticing billboards like these:
In preparation for the next Hunger Games movie, we have seen the wonderful Capitol Couture website. It shows what the fashion of the Capitol would if it existed in real life. For those who are new to the series, basically think over the top, colorful, and out of the ordinary. What makes this particular Tumblr sight so wonderful is that if we didn’t know any better, we would think it was something straight from the pages of Vogue.
The words “over the top, colorful, and out of the ordinary” that we used to describe couture and avant garde fashion, and the website does a great job of showing that off. You see designers like Alexander McQueen and Daniel Vi Le features that are real life designers as if they existed in the world the Hunger Games and how we can all get that luxurious look. And this post: http://capitolcouture.pn/post/58720516237/cat-power-fashion-is-a-predatory-passion-you it’s from an actual fashion show in Paris.
One can really see where Suzanne Collins got her inspiration from. This kind of fashion would absolutely considered outlandish and a sign of opulence if we saw someone walking down the street dressed like this:
Thought we probably wish we could rock this look. If you’re a fan of the series or just a fan of fashion this website (and at the end of the day, marketing campaign) has a little bit of something for everyone and although we know that we’ll never be able to rock these looks, we can still dream and get inspired for our Halloween costumes.
If you want to see more, here is the fashion blog: http://capitolcouture.pn/home
While the female population of Hollywood faces a certain expectation when it comes to body image, it seems they are no longer the only ones. New moms are expected to get back into bikini shape in record time and just an overall expectation to basically look model thin. Now, even the men have their own body issues to deal with and what was once an issue that was associated mainly with the sports world has leaked into the entertainment world: steroids.
Actors such as Mickey Rourke and Arnold Schwarzenegger have admitted to using PEDs (performance enhancing drugs) to get an amazing physique. Being in top shape is even harder to do for actors who are over 40 years old and it is simply harder for them (biologically) to achieve the same results that they could at 20 years old. “The pressure to perform in Hollywood is no different than it is in Major League Baseball,” says nutritionist and performance coach Mike Dolce, who has helped MMA star-turned-actor Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and CSI: NY’s A.J. Buckley get natural results. “These are people whose salaries are partially dependent upon how they look. Unfortunately, for those who take drugs, it’s a short-term improvement followed by a crash. Their bodies and hormonal chemistry go to hell.” (Hollywood Reporter Article)
Part of the reason for this growing problem is the fact that actors are given about 2 months of time to basically completely change their body from what it originally is to one that would rival a lifelong athlete. The task itself, is not easy. It involves intense physical training and a very strict diet that requires a herculean amount of discipline for such a short amount of time given to achieve it.
The real problem with this growing trend is that it sets impossibly high standards for teenagers who watch these movie stars and think that the only way that they can look like that is through steroids. With the numbers of teenagers using PEDs, this is a real concern. Working with and coming into contact with a lot of young actors, we want to make sure that their health is a priority. If that is something that they want to do, remember that it can be done naturally.
When Lance Bass deflated our dream of an NSYNC reunion, our reaction was pretty much this:
And it’s ok if your’s was too. What with Justin Timberlake receiving the “Michael Jackson Video Vanguard” Award, it seemed like the perfect time for the team to get back together. For all of those who experienced the awesomeness of a NSYNC concert, you will probably understand. It’s been 11 years since the band called it quits, yeah that little fact makes us feel old too, and now there is a whole generation out there that doesn’t know who NSYNC are. Don’t believe us?
It’s right here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/we-now-live-in-a-world-where-people-dont-know-who-nsync-is and the VMAs would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce a whole new generation to their greatness. It takes a certain amount of swag (and we don’t use this word lightly) to pull this off:
and only they can make puppets look cool. Well, since we can’t see them live in the VMAs, looks like we’ll have to content ourselves with a YouTube binge of all their classics.